When it comes to concealed carry, shoulder holsters are among the most popular choices for firearms enthusiasts. They provide a comfortable, versatile option that allows you to easily carry a firearm while keeping it hidden from view. However, with so many different options available, it can be difficult to know which one is right for you. In this ultimate guide, we will delve into the world of shoulder holsters and give you everything you need to know in order to find the perfect one.
1. The first step in choosing a shoulder holster is to consider what type of firearm you will be carrying. While many shoulder holsters are designed to fit a wide range of firearms, some are specific to certain models. You need to make sure that the holster you choose is compatible with the gun you plan to carry.
2. The next thing to consider is how you plan to wear the holster. Shoulder holsters can either be worn under or over clothing, and this can impact the type of holster you choose. Underarm holsters are typically worn under a jacket or shirt, while overarm holsters are worn over clothing. The type of holster you choose will depend on both your personal preference and your intended use.
3. Comfort is another important factor when choosing a shoulder holster. The last thing you want is to be fidgeting with your holster all day, so make sure that you choose one that is comfortable to wear. Look for a holster that has adjustable straps and padding to help distribute the weight of the firearm. Additionally, some models come with additional features such as breathable mesh to help keep you cool during periods of extended wear.
4. Another important consideration is the retention system used by the holster. The retention system is what keeps your firearm secure and prevents it from falling out of the holster. There are several different types of retention systems to choose from, including snap, thumb break, and strap options. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to choose one that you are comfortable with.
5. Finally, you need to consider the material of the holster. Shoulder holsters can be made from a variety of materials, including leather, nylon, and synthetic materials. Leather holsters are often considered the most comfortable and durable option, but they can be expensive. Nylon and synthetic materials are typically more affordable, but they may not be as durable or comfortable as leather. It’s important to choose a holster made from high-quality materials to ensure that it will last for years to come.
Choosing the right shoulder holster can be a daunting task, but it’s an important one if you want to safely and comfortably carry your firearm. By considering factors such as firearm type, style of wear, comfort, retention system, and material, you can find a holster that meets your needs and preferences. Whether you’re a seasoned firearms enthusiast or just starting out, this ultimate guide has everything you need to know about choosing the right shoulder holster.